RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Friday, December 22, 2017

What I’m Reading: Becky’ Favorite Reads of 2017

Its my annual list of the best books I read this year, regardless of what year they were published. But, I am changing it up this year and putting my“best” books into categories. Why? Because as I was going through everything I read this year, I kept identifying favorites with caveats like, “that was the best historical fiction I read” or “that was my favorite audio.” Also I realized that grouping them in this way didn’t only make it easier for me to make choices, but it also made the list more useful to you as you help readers.

For example, knowing that I have River of Teeth on my list because it is the “Most fun I had reading a book this year,” means much more than simply listing it as a favorite.

Plus, after 10 years of “best” lists, it’s time to do something a little different. Even I am getting bored of myself.

On a side note, I am very proud of myself that there was almost 50% diversity in my favorite book choices. I actually made myself pick my favorites first and then went back and audited my results. Here are the results:

  • I have 4 straight up POC titles
  • 1 LGBTQ
  • 1 has a non binary protagonist

That’s 6 out of 13 titles listed here.

Enough intro. Here is the list with links to my full reviews either from the blog or on Goodreads.

Speaking of categories, my colleagues over at the Booklist Readers also made a fun year end list based on highly specific categories. Check it out here.

Finally, a reminder that I am starting 2018 with Sing Unburied Sing and The Changeling-- In this post I said that The Leavers would be one of those books, but it looks like I will be reading it for a book club later in 2018, so I am pushing that one back. I never got to The Changeling when I got the ARC and it is the one best speculative book I didn’t read this year.

This is my last post of the year. After a short break, I will return with some catch up reviews before beginning the regular blogging schedule again on 1.8.18.

No comments: