RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Post Where Becky Asks You To Tell Me What You Want for the PLA Best Books Webinar

Last year I was contacted by the Public Library Association to deliver their annual holiday gift to members-- a free Best Books Webinar.  Click here for the slides from that program last year.

I took this assignment very seriously. When they contacted me I was very clear that I would NOT deliver a run of the mill “best” books program where all I did was list the best books. Rather, I focused on how we can better use best books lists to help our patrons find their next good read. Obviously the argument was more complicated than that. You can click here for the original blog post that inspired the entire program, “Attack of the “Best Lists”: Becky’s Advice to Stay Ready and Look Smart."

That was 2015. As we enter the "Best Books” season for 2016, PLA has contacted me again to provide the “Best Books” webinar for all of you [December 7th]. However, I will not repeat what I did last year. Yes it was very successful and we had wonderful feedback, but I am not going to waste my time or yours. I am all about moving forward.

I think I have an idea of how I am going to “attack” [pun intended] the webinar this year, but before I get too set in my ways, I want to throw it out to all of you.

What do you want from me as your end of the year “Best Books” wrap up? What kind of information will help you help readers better? Do you want me to focus on genre, rather than literary? Or do you want more about how to use best books lists to your advantage in terms of displays and programming? Do you want me to include movies and TV more obviously? Do you have strong feelings about “best” books [positive or negative] that you want to share?

This is your webinar people. PLA is giving it to you as a gift, and I want you to be happy with it.  So, let me know. I REALLY want to know how you feel and what you want. You can use the comments or Twitter or email me, but please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

No comments: