RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

New Issue of The Corner Shelf Is Out

This week is the Illinois Library Association’s Annual Conference. I will have more to say about the conference tomorrow but today, I wanted to pass on the link to this month’s Corner Shelf. I have included editor Rebecca Vnuk’s introduction below.

This is a particularly great issue [and I am saying that without it featuring me at all]. Not only is the interview with Ike Pulver and the program he shared very interesting, informative, and totally possible to replicate at your library, but the issue also features the debut of Neil Hollands' first RA column, taking over the reigns from Joyce Saricks. I have known Neil for years and am excited that he will have such a wide audience with which to share his expertise.

Please click through and check it all out. I promise you will learn something-- probably a lot of somethings.



This issue features an interview with Ike Pulver, Director of Saratoga Springs Public Library. Ike and I met while on the first selection committee for the Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Fiction and Nonfiction, where he impressed me with his vast book knowledge. I'm sure you'll enjoy getting to know him. He also contributes this issue's "RA Showcase," talking about the Book Buzz programming at Saratoga Springs Public Library.  

I'd like to draw your attention to two new features you'll find both in print and on Booklist Online: the first is a new feature you'll be seeing more of, "Trend Alert." Think of these as siblings of our famous "Core Collection" features, Trend Alert showcasing newer titles on hot topics while Core Collection brings together essential books in perennially popular areas. I'm a fan of microhistories, and right now, food books are hot, so it was a natural fit for our October Spotlight on Food. The second feature I'd like to showcase is our new readers'-advisory column, "Every Book Its Reader," from Neil Hollands. Neil has taken over the reins from Joyce Saricks, and we hope you'll love his new column as much as we know you loved her "At Leisure" features.  

Please drop me a note if you have any comments about Corner Shelf, if you'd like to contribute a feature on what great collection things are happening at your library, or if you'd like to offer yourself or a colleague up as a "Notes from the Field" interviewee. I'm always looking for new contributors. Tell me about the great RA things you're doing at your library!  

Rebecca Vnuk, Editor, Collection Management and Library Outreach, Booklist
Click here to access the entire newsletter with links to all of the articles.

No comments: