RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Corner Shelf Reports on RAUNCON and a Librarian Take Over of a Comics Convention

The newest issues of The Corner Shelf is out and it ia a good one. Here is the introduction by editor Rebecca Vnuk which includes direct links to all of the articles:

Welcome to Corner Shelf
Rebecca VnukIt's almost conference time—will you be attending ALA Annual in Orlando later this month? If so, please stop by theBooklist booth (#1231) and say hello! I love meeting new faces and seeing old friends. I'd also like to encourage you to come to the second annual "Read 'n' Rave" program, which takes place Monday, June 27, 2016, from 10:30–11:30 am in the Convention Center, Room W206B. You'll hear collection-development experts rave about the best upcoming titles they found while perusing the exhibit hall. Audiobooks more your thing? I'll be emceeing the Odyssey Award event, which also takes place on Monday, June 27, from 3:30–5:30 p.m. in the Convention Center, Room W110A.

Speaking of conferences, this issue features information about an "Unconference" as well as a comic convention. The Unconference facilitator, Stephanie Anderson, is profiled in the latest "Notes from the Field" interview. You'll also find information from our sponsor, Baker & Taylor, onthe upcoming Harry Potter madness, as well as a new "Author Perspectives on Self-Publishing" interview from Robin Bradford.
As with the May 2016 issue, I'm admiring how many items in this issue come from librarians doing great programs at conferences. If you're doing a program or session somewhere, why not write up your notes as a feature article? I'm always looking for new contributors. Tell me about the great RA things you're doing at your library! Get in touch at rvnuk@ala.org.

Rebecca Vnuk, Editor, Collection Management and Library Outreach, Booklist


Click here to pull up the entire issue.

I particularly want to point out the 2 pieces [here and here] about the RAUNCON hosted by Stephanie Anderson. I have worked with Stephanie on RA projects at her library before and I followed this one on Twitter as it happened. Plus, she was originally inspired to do this even after coming to our ARRT Unconference in 2013.

Also, check out Kaite Stover's piece about how after she attended her local comics convention in 2015, she was upset that books were not better represented. Rather than just complain, she took action, contacted the organizers for the 2016 convention and got a panel of librarians [in full cosplay splendor] to represent.

I know I have mentioned how useful I find this newsletter before, but I do have to say, this one is especially useful and inspiring. Heck, and it doesn't even feature me.

No comments: