RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Two New Genre Programs

Today I am spending most of the day working on a brand new set of programs for an upcoming training session. They go hand in hand and are all about genre.

The first I am calling, "Demystifying Genre." In this presentation, I will talk about genre fiction and why understanding the difference between genres matters, but also why understanding where the lines blur is equally as important.

The second will be entitled, "Working With Genre Fiction Readers." While in the first presentation, I will focus on the genres themselves, here I will demonstrate how to use what you know about a patron and their genre preferences to match them with a good read.

So I guess part 1 is the nuts and bolts while part 2 is the putting what you know into action. The entire presentation, both parts, with a 15 minute break in between will take 3 hours.

To prepare my thoughts, I was looking back over everything I have labelled genre here on the blog in the past, and if I do say so myself, there is a lot of good information there.  I figured if it was helping me, it would definitely be of use to the rest of you. So please click here to see everything I have posted on genre.

Also, remember that I have a long list of labels in the right gutter of the blog, down toward the bottom. I have worked very hard to make sure these are useful. So if you see a topic you are interested in, click on the label to pull up more info.

After 7.5 years of blogging, there is a lot of really great stuff buried here that even I have forgotten about.

And although these presentations are for the staff of the Darien Public Library, the slides will be available here on the blog. In fact, for those of you with no patience, over on the Recent Presentations page I have the schedule of events for my 2 days of training already posted with links to the 2 out of the 5 program slides that are already completed. Or you can wait until Feb 26th when they will be up on the RA for All main page.

If you are interested in these programs for your library or consortia, please contact me. I am currently booking June 2015 and forward.  If you are looking for a webinar version or are in the Chicagoland area, I might be able to fit you in a little bit sooner.

No comments: