RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Discussion: Back To School 2013

After a few week's hiatus the Monday Discussion is back. And just in time for the Back to School rush. Here at the BPL we have a few schools who went back today and a few more that are going back within the week.

If you work in a library, even if you don't have kids yourself, it is hard to not notice the back to school buzz in the air.  Kids coming in for last minute required summer reading, new teachers coming to check out what we have for them here, parents coming to look for a book to read now that the kids are back in school and they have more time, etc...

So I am jumping on the bandwagon. When this back to school season comes around, what books does it make you think of? Are you craving a back to school themed read yourself. Have you found a good read for yourself on one of the many required reading lists that have been placed in front of you all summer?

I'll start.  One of the most popular titles this year in our community came from the Junior AP English list--Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah. After helping a few dozen kids procure it, I have read a lot about it. Once the back to school rush dies down, I will be putting it on my personal to-read list.

I also tend to get nostalgic for my own school days this time of year and I often look to a book with a school theme. Two books I would suggest right off the top of my head that I enjoyed (and have reviews for) are Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl and The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach.

What about you? What books are on your radar during this back to school season?

For past Monday Discussions, click here.

No comments: