RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Thoughts

It has been a frustrating few days work wise.  Friday, I had grand plans to get a lot of work done and then the power went out in half of Berwyn.  I was only scheduled to work until 2:30, so I left.

Monday, although a holiday, was a work day at the library as well as the monthly date of our book club, but we are in a frigid snap here and the heat was not working well, so we had to close the building.  I was able to contact all but one of the book club ladies to tell them to come next week. That didn't help the fact that I had stayed up until after 1 am to finish the book the night before. I was a tad bit crabby about that.

Many were happy that they got a paid day off, and dispersed quickly, but I am frustrated.  I ended up being the last woman standing (besides the maintenance guy).  I still have a lot of work to do.  I did however get to teach intern Elizabeth a few things about clearing the building for an emergency closure.  She appreciated (dare I say relished) the opportunity.

Today was a scheduled day off for me since my kids had an in-service at school.  We were all going to see Life of Pi after lunch when my husband got off, so I figured I could get some work done in the AM, but no, my Internet at home has been wonky for a few days. I think it has to do with the single digit temperatures.

As I said frustrating.  No big problems, just lots of little annoying ones piling up.

But then, I was reading my RSS feeds on my phone (yeah 3G) and I saw this link to an article titled "Why Public Libraries Matter: And How They Can Do More." (Thanks RA Online)

It was the perfect article to shake me out of my funk. I am passing it on to you hoping that it helps you to realize what really matters about the great work we all do.

After I read it, the frustration lifted.  I feel energized, and see the good side of it all: the library is up and running, Life of Pi was a beautiful movie and my kids loved it, I am now ready a week in advance for book club, and on Thursday, ARRT begins its 1-year Graphic Novel genre study.

Speaking of that, I am assisting the leader, Annabelle from Skokie PL, and will have a full report on Friday.  Annabelle and I have wanted to do this for awhile and had to convince some of the other committee members that we could do a genre study on a format.  But more on the genre/format issue later.

If you want to follow along at home, we are doing benchmarks for this first meeting.  We all read (or re-read) Maus I and Maus II by Art Spiegelman and The Watchmen by Alan Moore.

Tomorrow, it is back to normal.


No comments: