RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Edgar Award Nominees and January's Crime Offerings

The Edgar Award nominations just came out.  These awards are given out by the Mystery Writers of America and are considered one of the most prestigious awards for a crime fiction writer.

Click here for the full list of nominees which include (but is not limited to) the categories:

  • Best Novel
  • Best First Novel by and American Author
  • Best Paperback Original
  • Best Crime Fact
  • Best Critical Biography
  • Best Short Story
  • Best Juvenile
  • Best YA
  • and my favorite because it can also serve as a new readalike list every year...The Mary Higgins Clark Award.
This year I have read two of the nominees.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (best novel) and The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters (best paperback original).  Use the links to read my reviews. I greatly enjoyed both novels.

The winners will be announced in early May, but at the BPL we have an obvious favorite.  [Seriously, if you don't know who you need to read this blog more often, or just click here.]

For those of you who have read all the nominees already and are itching to get started on what will be on next year's list, Book Page has a list of 12 Mysteries coming in January for the full spectrum of crime fiction fans.

Class tonight and then look for reviews tomorrow and Friday in the spirit of my New Year's Resolution.

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I haven't traditionally been a fan of mysteries, but "Books to Die For: The World's Greatest Mystery Writers on the World's Greatest Mystery Novels" looked appealing and I checked it out of my library. Do you know anything about this one? It's a new book, so I can only have it 14 days and I wonder how hard I should try to finish it.

Becky said...

Jeanie, this is a great option for a 14 day book. You do not need to read it cover to cover and each piece is short enough to read in one sitting. I would suggest you start by scanning the table of contents for authors of the pieces that you are most interested in or for books that they are talking about that grab your interest. You do not need to read this book in order.

That is an important point because many people are so trained to read from page 1 to the last page that they forget with compilations like this you can sample some or read it in an order you have created.

Have fun and let us know what you thought.

Jeanie said...

I wound up returning the book without having read much of it. Lately I've been reading a little of this, a little of that, without finishing anything. I'm not proud of it but I guess it's better than not reading at all. I have a hard time finding something that captivates me.