RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Audiobooks Being Pulled From Libraries

With all of the hoopla surrounding publishers trying to rework their library lending models when it comes to loaning ebooks to libraries there is a more sinister issue which snuck into the conversation in the last few days.  Audiobook publishers pulling their titles from library download services!

I understand that publishers are worried about the lending library model not working the same for ebooks (which never get lost, stolen, or literally break apart) as they do for physical tomes, but now, audiobook publishers are using that argument to start pulling their titles from downloadable services too.

Click here to read the Aduiobooker's post about the issue.

As an avid audiobook listener, I am very worried about this.  I have argued in the past that publishers and libraries are going to have to work together to figure out how to have ebooks available in an affordable manner for library patrons.  But I never thought audiobooks would be included in this discussion. Now Amazon is trying to corner the audiobook market and use only their services to sell them.

Audiobooks have been available for download for at least a decade already.  Why change it now? Things have been working out just fine. Publishers have been making plenty of money.  People like me who use their iPods exclusively to listen to audiobooks, still check out the physical audiobook to load on the computer and use for 1 copyright allowed listen before deleting.  They are still selling the physical copy and the digital copy to most libraries.

I am actually more worried about this audiobook related news than about any of the ebook doomsday news like this.

I am not sure what is going to happen, but I will keep you posted.

Click here to read all of my posts about ebooks or here to read all my posts about audiobooks.

No comments: