RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chickens in Children's Books

My work focuses on books for adults, but as the mother of two young children I read quite a few pictures books. One thing my kids and I have noticed is that if a picture book has a chicken, it is probably going to be hilarious.

We have shared this opinion with our local children's librarians, and they have agreed. In particular, my pre-school aged son has taken this family reading maxim to heart and asked Santa for a chicken Webkin this year. (For the record, santa came through; he must have seen a draft of the article.)

So given this short back story you could see how much this article from the Los Angeles Times about the chicken in kids' books struck me.

This made me think about my own reading and how I am drawn to books with circuses or academic settings. I also enjoy non-battle focused Civil War books and novels with baseball.

It just goes to show you that no matter the age of the reader, we all have certain "go-t0" characters, settings, or objects that we love to see in the stories we read.

Do you have a story to share about your own reading quirks?

No comments: